Apologies for not posting. Life and mind were elsewhere.
This project happened because:
- I want to use up my fabric stash
- I’m done living with uncomfortable chairs for 25 years
- I wanted something to better color coordinate with the kitchen.
Surprise! It took a whole day to accomplish and a bit exhausted the second day.
Very very happy with the results.
I bought two 2″ x 18″ x 23″ foam prepackaged at the craft/fabric store. I was in too much of a rush to wait for an employee to cut exact length for me. I did seat test it on the store floor. Just to make sure I was getting the right amount of squish. Remember this project is as much for aesthetics as comfort.
I had several choices if fabric in the studio. I choose the most practical, sturdy, & not too thick to staple through.
Cutting the foam to size was easy with the electric kitchen knife. I’m so glad I learned this trick.
Pulling out the old staples was the toughest part of the job. Flat head screw driver and needle nose pliers and a lot of patience got it done.
Using a good stapler makes a big difference. I would not have enough grip strength with the old fashion one. Better still would be an electric one. But not for an occasional project.
Cut the fabric with generous length & depth for stretching and stapling to the back. I had 81-12″ extra. Cut the excess after all the stapling is done.
Like all things that need a tight fit. You start stapling at the center of one side. Then alternate to the opposite side. I couldn’t take pictures of the process. I was kneeling on the seat to squeeze the foam down & pulling the fabric as taut as possible & stapling it down. No free hands to take a photo.
Here’s the after.
- Fabric $3 for 1.5 yards
- Foam $10 for 2 (on 50% sale)
- Lots of staples
- Lots of elbow grease and time
Chat with you next week.